Math 221, Section 006, Fall 2010

Lecture Room: B102 VAN VLECK
Lecture Time: MWF 1:20-2:10
Final Exam: None.
Lecturer:David Brown
Office: 319 Van Vleck
Phone: (510)508-0255
Office Hours: 2-4 M, 10-11 W, or by appointment.


See the official syllabus and list of topics.

According to the academic calendar here there are 43 MWF days in the fall semester. It should therefore be possible to complete this syllabus at a pace of roughly one line per lecture, leaving a little time for things like review sessions.


The textbook for the class is Thomas' Calculus, 12th edition (with 2nd-order differential equations), ISBN 0321587995. Be careful about the version you buy: the university bookstore has the right one, but Amazon doesn't seem to carry this specific edition. We will cover chapters 1 to 7, inclusive.

If you want additional viewpoints, have a look at the excellent notes by Prof. J. W. Robbin and the equally-excellent notes by Prof. S. B. Angenent.


The official prerequisite is one of

You should be comfortable with basic algebra and trigonometry. If you want to do some revision beforehand, work through Chapter 1 of Thomas and of the lecture notes mentioned above.

If you want to check your basic algebra skills, you can take Prof. Robbin's pre-test, with answers.

Attend the Review Workshops (What are you expected to know in your math class?) if you are not sure you know enough precalculus.

Homework and Quizzes

Go here for a list of homework assignments.

Before each lecture I will post a new homework assignment related to the day's lecture; you should begin working on the assignment soon after lecture. Your TA is responsible for deciding how and when to collect homework.

Each week (starting in the second week of class), your TA will give a 20 min quiz during your discussion section, consisting of a few questions from or related to the previous few homeworks. This will make up part of your grade, as described below. The TA for your section might decide to collect some homework or have some additional methods of assessment, at their discretion.

Notes, textbooks, or calculators will not be allowed in the quizzes. At least one of your lowest quiz scores will be discarded, and there will be no make-up quizzes.

Even if it is not collected, you should do all of the homework if you want a chance to do well in the class.

Course Policy and Grading

There will be two midterm exams. Each of the three midterm exams is worth 28.33 percent, for a total of 85 percent of the final grade. The remaining 15 percent is a Discussion Section grade allocated by your TA who will base it on homework, quizzes, participation, attendance, and effort. The Discussion Section grade will be adjusted to account for variations among the TAs, and the final letter grades will be curved.

Midterm Exam I 28.33% (Mon., Oct. 11, In class)
Midterm Exam II 28.33% (Fri., Nov. 12, In class)
Midterm Exam III 28.33% (Wed., Dec. 15 In class)
Discussion section grade 15%

Calculators, notes, and textbooks are not allowed in exams or quizzes.

Make up Exams

If you have a conflict with the final exam or either midterm, please, immediately send an email to me including the course number of the conflict, exact times of the conflict, and any other times that day that you are not free.

Teaching Assistants


How to do Well in this Course

Look here for mandatory reading on know how to study effectively.

There are many ways to get help with math. In addition, following these guidelines is a recipe for (but not a guarantee of) success:

During lectures

Outside lectures