2016 Research Experiences for Undergraduates at Emory University
Dates: June 1 - July 12, 2016 (tentative)
Math Building, Rooms E406 and E408
- David Zureick-Brown, Assistant Professor.
- Ken Ono, Asa Griggs Candler Professor.
- Michael Mertens Postdoctoral Fellow, (Emory)
- Jesse Thorner, (Emory) Graduate Student.
- Sarah Trebat-Leder, NSF Graduate Fellow, (Emory)
Basic InformationKen Ono has been organizing REU programs since 2003 (formerly at U. Wisconsin (Madison) from 2003-2009). He has advised over 100 students including 4 Morgan Prize Winners and 4 Schafer Prize winners. The REU alums have won numerous other honors including Marshall Scholarships, NSF Graduate Fellowships (over 30), etc...
We have submitted a proposal to the National Science Foundation. If the proposal is funded, then we will be again organizing a summer Research Experience in Mathematics for the summer of 2016 on the beautiful campus of Emory University (adjacent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)). We seek to fill 8-10 openings in the REU. Most of the participants will be US citizens or permanent residents who are presently enrolled in a US undergraduate institution or high school. We have offered openings to high school students who are adequately prepared for the program. NSF supported participants will receive a competitive stipend and free accomodations.
2016 Project areas
- Elliptic curves and Galois representations
- Mock modular and quantum modular forms
- Additive Number Theory
- Distribution of Primes
- To be determined.
- Check back in July 2016.
Application Materials (Deadline for Completed Applications: )Note. In accordance with the new REU consortium rule, applicants will not be required to accept or decline an offer before early March 2016.
A complete application consists of:
- CV (clearly indicate citizenship)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Undergraduate Transcripts (unofficial ok)
- Personal Statement: Please explain your interest in arithmetic geometry/number theory and describe your previous research experience (if any).