I am a Ph.D. student at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Emory University.
My research area is the intersection of text processing and machine learning, and I am pleased to work with Prof. Eugene Agichtein. Before this, I was a research assistant at the University of Tehran, and worked under the supervision of Prof. Farhad Oroumchian.
- Payam Karisani, Zhaohui (Steve) Qin, Eugene Agichtein. Probabilistic and Machine Learning-based Retrieval Approaches for Biomedical Dataset Retrieval. Submitted.
Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. A query term re-weighting approach using document similarity. Information Processing & Management (IPM). 2016. [Link]
Abolfazl AleAhmad, Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. OLFinder: finding opinion leaders in online social networks. Journal of Information Science (JIS). 2016. [Link]
Conferences (A nice video about miracle people: link)
Payam Karisani, Farhad Oroumchian, Maseud Rahgozar. Tweet Expansion Method for Filtering Task in Twitter. 6th International Conference of the CLEF Association. 2015. [Link]
Abolfazl AleAhmad, Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. University of Tehran at RepLab 2014. 5th International Conference of the CLEF Association (CLEF Labs and Workshop). 2014. [Link]
- Artificial Intelligence (undergraduate), TA, Emory University, Spring 2017
- Human Computer Interaction (undergraduate), TA, Tehran University, Fall 2014
- Advanced Database (graduate), TA, Tehran University, Fall 2013
- "Probabilistic and Machine Learning-based Retrieval Approaches for Biomedical Dataset Retrieval", Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute, UC San Diego, USA, 2017.
- External reviewer for Information Processing & Management (IPM) journal.
- External reviewer for Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST).
Experience (A nice video about A players: link)
- I have been software engineer and programmer for roughly a decade in my home country, Iran. I had chance to work on variety of projects ranging from web-based Learning Management Systems to highway speed cameras. I have been also in a couple of industry funded research projects such as search engine evaluation, automatic web filtering, and designing domain specific database query languages.
Honors (A nice video about honors: link)
- Ranked 1st at RepLab 2014 Twitter Author Ranking task (sponsored by the EU project LiMoSINe)
- Ranked 1st at bioCADDIE 2016 dataset retrieval challenge based on methodology and innovation (NIH funded project, awarded 50,000 US dollars)
- Ranked 5th at 2017 Amazon Alexa Prize