I am a Ph.D. student at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Emory University.
My research interest is Information Retrieval, and I am pleased to work with Prof. Eugene Agichtein. Before this, I was a research assistant at the University of Tehran, and worked under the supervision of Prof. Farhad Oroumchian.
- Payam Karisani, Zhaohui (Steve) Qin, Eugene Agichtein. Traditional and machine-learning based text retrieval approaches for biomedical dataset retrieval, submitted.
Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. A query term re-weighting approach using document similarity. Information Processing & Management, Volume 52, Issue 3, May 2016, Pages 478-489. [Link]
Abolfazl AleAhmad, Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. OLFinder: finding opinion leaders in online social networks. Journal of Information Science (JIS), Volume 42, Issue 5, October 2016, Pages 659-674. [Link]
Conferences (A nice video about miracle people: link)
Payam Karisani, Farhad Oroumchian, Maseud Rahgozar. Tweet Expansion Method for Filtering Task in Twitter. 6th International Conference of the CLEF Association, CLEF'15, Toulouse, France, September 8–11, 2015. Springer 2015 Lecture Notes in Computer Science: p. 55-64. [Link]
Abolfazl AleAhmad, Payam Karisani, Maseud Rahgozar, Farhad Oroumchian. University of Tehran at RepLab 2014. In 5th International Conference of the CLEF Association (CLEF Labs and Workshop). 2014. p. 1528-1536. (Ranked 1st in Author Ranking task) [Link]
- Artificial Intelligence (undergraduate), TA, Emory University, Spring 2017
- Human Computer Interaction (undergraduate), TA, Tehran University, Fall 2014
- Advanced Database (graduate), TA, Tehran University, Fall 2013
- "Traditional and machine-learning based text retrieval approaches for biomedical dataset retrieval", Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute, UC San Diego, USA, 2017.
Experience (A nice video about A players: link)
- I have been software engineer and programmer for roughly a decade in my home country, Iran. I had chance to work on variety of projects ranging from web-based Learning Management Systems to highway speed cameras. I have been also in a couple of industry funded research projects such as search engine evaluation, automatic web filtering, and designing domain specific database query languages.
Honors (A nice video about honors: link)
- Ranked 1st at RepLab 2014 Twitter Author Ranking task (sponsored by the EU project LiMoSINe)
- Ranked 1st at bioCADDIE 2016 dataset retrieval challenge based on methodology and innovation (NIH funded project, awarded 50,000 US dollars)
- Ranked 5th at 2017 Amazon Alexa Prize