PIOUS for PVM
PIOUS is a complete Parallel I/O System for the PVM 3 distributed
computing environment. Just as PVM implements a virtual multicomputer
on top of a heterogeneous network of computing resources, PIOUS
implements a fully functional parallel file system on top of PVM. PVM
applications obtain transparent access to shared permanent storage via
PIOUS library functions.
PIOUS is intended to serve both as a platform for supporting
high-performance parallel applications, and as a vehicle for parallel
file system research. PIOUS implements the traditional functionality
found in most parallel computer file systems, as well as a number of
unique features, including:
- two-dimensional file objects and logical file views,
- coordinated file access with guaranteed consistency semantics,
- data declustering for scalable performance,
- transaction support and user-selectable fault tolerance modes,
- extended file maintenance primitives for managing declustered files, and
- C and Fortran language bindings.
PIOUS should work on most systems that support PVM 3. To date,
PIOUS has been tested on the following: Sun4/SunOS 4.1.3/5.3-4,
SGI/IRIX 4.0.5/5.3, Dec Alpha/OSF1 2.1, HP 9000/HP-UX, and IBM
RS6000/AIX. Versions of PIOUS are installed at hundreds of sites, and
the software appears to be stable.
The PIOUS project is supported in part by
U. S. DoE, MICS grant DE-FG05-91ER25105, and NSF awards
ASC-9527186, and CCR-9523544.
PIOUS Source and Documentation
The PIOUS documentation contains detailed installation information,
as well as a complete user's guide and reference manual.
The PIOUS software is distributed under the terms of the GNU
Library General Public License Version 2 (LGPL), as published by the
Free Software Foundation, and is provided " as is " without
any warranty. A copy of the LGPL is included with the software
distribution and details the terms of the license. Note that the LGPL
does allow proprietary applications to make use of the PIOUS
PIOUS Support and Bug Report
The developers of PIOUS will provide support as time
permits. Questions and problems should be directed to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be as specific as possible in
any bug reports, and be sure to include machine type as well as
operating system, PVM, and PIOUS version numbers.
Any problems that are known to exist for a particular release are
listed in the PIOUS bug
report (an ASCII text file) along with a workaround (if any) and
the release that corrects the problem. This report will be updated as
problems are encountered and resolved. It is highly
recommended that this report be consulted
before installing PIOUS on your system.
For now, the usenet news group comp.parallel.pvm should be used as an avenue for discussion about PIOUS.
PIOUS Release History
The following is a brief time-line of PIOUS releases, and the enhancements
provided by each:
- 1.2.2 (05/95)
- Data server scheduling algorithm updated to improve performance for conflicting accesses; previous scheduler bug corrected.
Data server caching algorithm changed to Segmented LRU to limit the
cache flooding caused by extended sequential access patterns.
- 1.2.1 (01/95)
- Fortran language bindings added, along with the necessary updates to the documentation.
- 1.1.2 (12/94)
- Initial system release.
PIOUS Technical Reports
The following PIOUS technical reports are available in postscript format:
- CSTR-950601: Characterizing Concurrency Control Performance for the PIOUS Parallel File System
- Presents a detailed performance study of the PIOUS concurrency
control mechanism. Scalability and stability results are given for
benchmark applications executed on Sandia's HEAT cluster. Subsumes
- CSTR-950202: Scalable Concurrency Control for Parallel File Systems
- Presents a detailed discussion of the scalable, light-weight
concurrency control mechanism employed by PIOUS. Preliminary
performance results are given for a benchmark application executed on
Sandia's high-performance HEAT cluster.
Presented at the IOPADS workshop of the 1995 International Parallel Processing Symposium.
- CSTR-941101: Parallel I/O as a Parallel Application
- Presents a complete overview of the PIOUS architecture and interface. Benchmark results are given for both standard and fault-tolerant file access in a low-performance cluster environment. Subsumes CSTR-940302 and CSTR-940101.
Revised version to appear in the International Journal of Supercomputer Applications, 9(2), 1995.
- CSTR-940302: PIOUS: A Scalable Parallel I/O System for Distributed Computing Environments
- Presents a brief overview of PIOUS. Focuses on benchmark results for both standard and fault-tolerant file access in a low-performance cluster environment.
Revised version appeared in the Proceedings of the Scalable High-Performance Computing Conference, 1994.
- CSTR-940101: A Parallel I/O System for High-Performance Distributed Computing
- Presents a complete overview of the PIOUS architecture and interface.
Revised version appeared in the Proceedings of the IFIP WG10.3 Working Conference on Programming Environments for Massively Parallel Distributed Systems, 1994.
Other Sites of Interest
Math/CS Research Projects
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Emory University Home Page
Send comments to: